What is the Producer's Soapbox? It is WOSA's wine equivalent of
Speaker's Corner, where winemakers or wine marketers get a chance to
talk about their favourite topic.
But there are strict rules. One presenter. Only six wines from at least three wineries. No powerpoints. Only 30 minutes. And a small audience (maximum 20 people) who are attracted by the subject. No bookings, no reserved seats.
WOSA trialled the Soapbox successfully at Cape Wine Europe and so we are introducing it at Cape Wine. It will be in a special "boxed off" zone on the exhibition floor, and it has been made possible through a sponsorship from Cape Legends.
WOSA invited producers to submit topics and then the long list was sent to our overseas offices for them to vote on the topics they believed would be the most interesting to their international guests.
These are the topics:
1. Chenin Blanc (no title yet)
2. South Africa’s most consistent white grape variety: Chardonnay
3. Great Wines born of International Investment
4. Cool Wines from Africa’s Southern-most District
5. Comparative Hemel-en-Aarde three ward Pinot Noir tasting
6. Cabernet Sauvignon from the slopes of the Simonsberg
7. Liquid Gold: the story of Late Harvests
8. The philosophy of wine: organic, biodynamic and more
9. Around the World: unusual varieties
10. Shiraz (no title yet)
11. Cape Blends
12. Cool Climate Sauvignon Blanc’s
The final details of presenters, wines and times will be up on the Cape Wine website very soon www.capewine2012.co.za.