TOPS Gugulethu Wine Festival to celebrate Africa Day
08 May 2012 by Gugulethu Wine Festival
The TOPS Gugulethu Wine Festival, happening on the Friday 25th May and Saturday 26th May 2012 on the Rooftop of the Gugulethu Square Mall, is being hailed as the highlight event to attend this year with over 300 wines to taste, fantastic entertainment, and is a truly unique African wine festival as it kicks off on the celebrated Africa Day.
Africa Day is celebrated around the world every year on May 25th and its aim is to celebrate African diversity and success and to highlight the cultural and economic potential that exists on the African continent.
Festival co-founders and local entrepreneurs, Mzoli Ngcawuzele from Mzoli’s Place, and Lungile Mbalo, believe that Africa Day and the TOPS Gugulethu Wine Festival are founded upon similar principles of encouraged diversity and success.
Says Mzoli, “Our TOPS Gugulethu Wine Festival belongs to the people of Africa and we welcome all to come and join us on this special Africa Day. South Africa is abundantly cosmopolitan and this is richly visibly at our festival and we can all learn so much from each other. Come and raise your wine glass in Gugulethu, be who you are and make good friends.”
Recognising the value of this market, local wine estates are starting to add the TOPS Gugulethu Wine Festival to their already packed diaries. The Cape Wine Academy, organisers of the wine arena, say they have doubled the wine exhibitors this year.
Says Marilyn Cooper, Cape Wine Master and CEO of the Cape Wine Academy, “We are very pleased to see local wine estates are starting to see the future of their brands in this festival demographic. The power of direct marketing is that if these audiences do not experience your wine and feel connected to the brand first-hand, why would they select it as a preferred wine purchase in the future.”
Idols judge, Metro FM co-host and entertainment powerhouse, Unathi Msengana, will be performing live in the TOPS VIP Lounge to invited VIP guests on the Friday evening and will MC in the main wine exhibitor marquee on the Saturday evening, much to the delight of many.
Says Msengana “I love Gugulethu because it is such a vast cultural experience; there is so much you can get from it – it’s a wonderful community where everyone knows everyone and everyone is helpful. It is a township that has never been given the glory it deserves. As the name represents Li-Gugulethu, which means ‘our Pride’, I am proud to be given this fantastic opportunity at the TOPS Gugulethu Wine Festival. I can’t wait to see you all there!”
Other exciting highlights at the festival:
• The Nederburg Taste Theatre, open to all festival visitors on a first-come first-served basis. Presentations will be staged at 18h00, 19h00 and 20h00 on both evening in the main wine exhibitor marquee.
• Pete Goffe-Wood, a South African MasterChef judge, will co-present Nederburg’s Taste Theatre on Friday evening.
• Over 40 wineries showcasing over 300 wines to swirl, sniff, sip, and spit (although not much spitting is expected)
• Thirteen super-brand sponsors including spectacular wine lounges from Pongracz, J.C le Roux, Nederburg, 4th Street, The Saints and a DGB merlot wine bar giving visitors unique lifestyle experiences
• Enjoy the ‘TOPS Food and Fun’ chill-out space to sit and eat from a choice of restaurants including Mzoli’s famous chop!
• All visitors will receive a free branded wine tasting glass and the festival wine buying guide on arrival plus there will be lots of prizes to be won on the night.
TOPS Gugulethu Wine Festival 2012 details
Friday, 25 May from 16h00 to 21h00
Saturday 26 May from 15h00 to 21h00
Tickets are R80 per person per night.
Purchase online at or at the door on the night. www.webtickets.co.za
For more information go to: . www.gugulethuwinefestival.co.za
For more info and images: / 084 486 2136. email@example.com
This article has been read 1223 times.
The article above is distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike License You may copy, re-use or re-print any of this information as long as wine.co.za is quoted as source. Any statements made or opinions expressed are the legal responsibility of the AUTHOR, and do not necessarily reflect the views of WineNet (PTY) Ltd. or its sponsors. 20284