As February has everyone going ga-ga for over-the-top romantic gestures,
soppy movies and the decoration of menial objects with red and pink
hearts, we thought we’d offer something with a little more depth and
If you truly want to spoil someone, and yourself, then get to a
kitchen and whip up this tangy yet sweet dessert. Because of the
citrus, it pairs so beautifully with Neethlingshof Short Story
Collection The Maria Noble Late Harvest 2011. Trust us, it’s better than
a bunch of roses.
50 g | 5 oz digestive biscuits finely crushed
65 g | 2 1/2 oz melted butter
For the filling:
• 300 ml | 10 fl oz condensed milk, sweetened
• 3 egg yolks
• 1 teaspoon lemon zest
• 5 tablespoons lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C | 300 °F | Gas 2
2. Mix together the crushed biscuits and the butter and press the mixture into the base of a shallow 20 cm | 8 in loose-base tart tin. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, or until firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
3. In a bowl beat the egg yolks, then add the milk, lemon zest and lemon juice. Mix well.
4. Pour the milk-lemon mixture into the cooled biscuit base.
5. Return to the middle of the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the filling has set. Remove from the oven and let it cool completely before removing it from the tin.
Pair with a chilled glass of the Maria Noble Late Harvest and watch how the world adores you.
Taken and slightly adapted from here
The article above is distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License
You may copy, re-use or re-print any of this information as long as wine.co.za is quoted as source.
Any statements made or opinions expressed are the legal responsibility of the AUTHOR,
and do not necessarily reflect the views of WineNet (PTY) Ltd. or its sponsors.