11 February 2013 - by -
To celebrate the wonder of harvesting wine grapes, La Motte has introduced a Harvest Tasting which will introduce guests to all facets of this special time in the Winelands.
Starting in the Vineyards, guests will be able to taste the ripening grapes while a well-informed Wine Ambassador introduces the various varietals and explains the harvest practices and organic farming methods.
From the Vineyards, guests will walk through the cellar to experience the harvesting process first hand – the hand-sorting of grapes, crush, pump-overs and other activities that take place in the cellar – ending with a tasting of grape must (fermenting grape juice) from a tank.
After this experience, guests are welcomed to the tasting room for a tasting of La Motte’s award-winning wines and other harvest delights, including:
• Five wines from the La Motte Collection
• Three wines from the Pierneef Collection
• Mosbolletjies (the traditional South African sweet bun made from the yeast of partially fermented grape juice)
• Must syrup (probably the first form of jam made by men - a reduction of the sweet grape must or partially fermented grape juice)
• Something Savoury - a Cape Winelands Cuisine inspired meat and grape pâté wrapped in a vine leaf and baked in a crust
• Something Sweet - a Grape Frangipane tartlet
Tastings cost R50, takes just more than an hour and will be available hourly from Tuesdays to Fridays, from 10:00 to 15:00 for the duration of the harvest - from Tuesday, 5 February until Thursday, 28 March.
Pierneef à La Motte restaurant also participates in the celebration of harvest with harvest-inspired menu items while the La Motte Farm Shop offers an array of decadent confectionery and breads baked with grapes or must.
For more information or reservations, please call Werner in the Tasting Room at +27 (0)21 876 8820.
For more information on La Motte, please visit www.la-motte.com or call us at +27 (0)21 876 8000.
The article above is distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License
You may copy, re-use or re-print any of this information as long as wine.co.za is quoted as source.
Any statements made or opinions expressed are the legal responsibility of the AUTHOR,
and do not necessarily reflect the views of WineNet (PTY) Ltd. or its sponsors.