Cool down this summer with a glass of chilled Drostdy-Hof Chardonnay
2013. Its smooth and creamy texture, with lovely tropical fruit, citrus
and lime flavours makes a great match with a country-style potjie
brimming with fresh seafood. Invite family and friends to celebrate
summer to the full with this great South African holiday treat!
Drostdy-Hof Chardonnay 2013 is available in 750 ml bottle and 3-litre bag-in-box packaging at liquor outlets nationwide.
Seafood potjie, served with Drostdy-Hof Chardonnay
Serves 4 to 6
250 ml Drostdy-Hof Chardonnay
450 g mixed shellfish such as mussels and prawns, cleaned
Salt and ground black pepper
15 ml olive oil
2 onions, cubed
2 celery sticks, chopped
1 fennel bulb, sliced thinly
1 garlic clove, crushed
30 ml flour
250 ml vegetable or chicken stock
Bouquet garni: 6 parsley stalks, 2 thyme stalks and 2 bay leaves tied with kitchen string
500 g baby potatoes
675 g white fish, deboned and filleted
250 ml milk
250 ml cream
Handful of chopped parsley or chives
1. Prepare fire as usual ensuring enough coals to cook a potjie.
2. In a medium-sized cast iron potjie, bring 125 ml of the Drostdy-Hof Chardonnay to a simmer. Place the mussels and prawns in the liquid. Cover and steam for 5 minutes. The prawns are cooked when they have a pink colour. Discard any mussels that have not opened. Remove from the potjie, retaining the cooking liquid for later, and set aside.
3. Heat the oil in the potjie and lightly fry the onion, celery, fennel and garlic until soft. Stir in the flour and fry for 3 minutes. Slowly add the remaining 125 ml wine while stirring. Bring to a simmer.
4. Add the stock, bouquet garni and baby potatoes. Season with salt and black pepper.
5. As soon as the potatoes are soft, add the fish and milk and cream. Simmer for 5 minutes and return the shellfish and reserved liquid to the pot. Stir to combine.
6. Bring back up to a simmer and remove from the heat. Season to taste and add the chopped parsley or chives. Serve with warm crusty bread.
The article above is distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License
You may copy, re-use or re-print any of this information as long as wine.co.za is quoted as source.
Any statements made or opinions expressed are the legal responsibility of the AUTHOR,
and do not necessarily reflect the views of WineNet (PTY) Ltd. or its sponsors.