we have agents in


RELATED LINKS

Stellenzicht Golden Triangle Cabernet Sauvignon 2010

Technical Analysis
Winemaker
Guy Webber assisted by Samantha de Morney-Hughes
Main Variety
Cabernet Sauvignon
Appellation
Stellenbosch
Alcohol
14.17 %vol
pH
3.5
RS
2.6 g/l
TA
7.0 g/l
VA
0.65 g/l
SO2
109 mg/l
Characteristics
Type
Red
Style
Dry
Body
Full
Taste
Fruity

Tasting Notes

Colour: Bright ruby of medium intensity, with hints of youthful purple along the rim.
Nose: Sweet aromas of cassis and black berries interspersed with faint nuances of white asparagus and slightly smokey oak.
Palate: Full-bodied and incredibly well balanced with total harmony between the sweet fruit flavours and the toasty oak tannins. Friendly but with some expected grip which will relax with time - a gentle giant!

Ageing Potential

This wine should reach its full potential at around eight to twelve years of age.

Blend Information

100% Cabernet Sauvignon

Food Suggestions

Herb-crusted lamb roasts, mutton kebabs with chunky grilled vegetables, grilled swordfish and many more.

In The Vineyard

Background
Flanked by the Helderberg and Stellenbosch Mountains, between Stellenbosch and the False Bay coast, lies an exceptional tract of land that benefits from terroir eminently suited to the cultivation of the highest quality wine grapes. This jewel in the crown of the magnificent Stellenbosch wine-growing region is known as the Golden Triangle. At its core lies Stellenzicht.
 
Award-winning Stellenzicht reserves its Golden Triangle label for those wines which most eloquently demonstrate the unique terroir of this special part of the Helderberg, home to some of South Africa’s most exceptional wines.

Vineyards
The grapes were sourced from two vineyards planted in 1991 and 1993 respectively. Both are located on very gentle slopes facing west to south-west, in soils of decomposed granite and Table Mountain sandstone. The vines, grafted onto nematode-resistant Richter 99 rootstocks, are trellised on a five-wire fence system and yielded an average of only 2,7 tons per hectare.

The 2010 vintage can best be described as "hot and dry"! This was the case both during the preceding winter months and the ripening period. As a result, the vineyards received additional irrigation to reduce stress on the vines and ensure complete ripening of the berries. This was also the reason for the unusually low yields.

Viticulturist: Johan Mong

About The Harvest

The grapes were harvested by hand on 26 and 30 March at an average of 23,2° Balling.

In The Cellar

The grapes were destalked, gently crushed and then transferred to fermentation tanks. The must was inoculated with pure yeast cultures (UCLM and N96). Fermentation continued for six to seven days at a temperature of about 26ºC while the wine was regularly pumped over the cap.

Fermentation was completed in the tanks and malolactic fermentation allowed to take place spontaneously. The wine was then racked to barrels and spent the next 23 months maturing on its fine lees with only a single racking during this period. Barrels used for maturation were all 300-litre 'hogsheads' of which 32% were of French oak, 28% of American white oak and 40% of Eastern-European oak. New oak comprised 35% of the barrels with the remaining 65% being two to three years old.

After maturation the wine was blended and prepared for bottling on 13 August 2012. A total of 1 137 cases (12 x 750ml) was produced.